Thursday, November 27, 2008

Wednesday 26th November, around 1.30 British time, 3.30 Kenyan time, somewhere over Egypt

I'm feeling drowsy... maybe it's the lack of sleep, maybe it's that awful, processed mulch they served after we took off. Something about beef and lasagna - I don't know - but whatever it was pretending to be it’s now sat like a large bowling ball lodged in my stomach. Or maybe it was that bottle of wine... I chose French over Australian -- some illusion of refinement I guess passed through my head at the time (illusion being the operative word as this was plane food after all). There's four hours and 20 minutes left to go. The window next to me feels really hot -- it feels strange touching it as on the outside there's an ice pattern spread across the pane. Unfortunately I can’t see Egypt. Just miles of clouds make it look like we’re skimming across Antarctica. The man in front has been complaining that he should be sat in business class. The stewardess patiently explained that since he only paid 600 Euros for his ticket whilst business class seats cost in the region of £3000 he was most probably in the right place -- in economy with the rest of us unfortunate sardines. Although now it's not called economy -- according to my ticket and I am a "World Traveller". They make it sound like I'm on some kind of grand tour, ticking off countries on the way. I love it how airlines rename things to make them sound less crap when actually your legs are getting just as cramped as they always used to. My neighbour is the silent but smiley type. We have a seat between us and so I can dump all of the crap that I didn't fit in my hand luggage, next to me. I was rather overpowered when h removed his shoes at the beginning of the flight -- I thought there was something wrong with the air-conditioning but quickly unwrinkled my nose when I saw him stretching out his toes. He also seems to have unfortunate case of flatulence -- and in a plane there is really no escape! I've tried to prep for some sessions with the team but can’t really focus. I feel quite under pressure, like I've taken on too much. Taking off in a plane you realise just how little you are, how insignificant and tiny you as you glide through the crowds and watch human life turn into what looks like a google map below you. My gut reaction was "God you are really, really great!" I want to have that gut reaction when thinking about the future for Fuhomi and NYM. I know that faith is a choice I need to make in this situation… being sure of what I cannot see. This trip really came out of nowhere -- my plans for myself were really in ashes when this trip dropped into my lap -- I know that God must have something interesting planned. It's just trusting him with that…

1 comment:

Fascination said...

Babe, am sending all my love, oh!
Nice blog, i can now stalk u in Kenya, hw convenient...

Sleep tite
Toyota [hopefully am d only toyota u knw]
xx