Thursday, July 2, 2009

Naaiirrrroooobi!

On Tuesday I decided to learn how to make the beaded scarves that the Fuhomi women make. It’s actually quite complex - Shiko - one of the ex - CSWs showed me as she’s a bit of an expert. It took me aggggggeees to get even halfway down the scarf after which I’m ashamed to say I gave up…Shiko finished it off! We were quite excited to get a visit from the wife of the US ambassador who was looking for a present for Mrs Obama! She had a really thick accent and was wearing what looked like half a shop full of make up.

On Wednesday I headed to Nairobi and met my friend in Nairobi’s equivalent of the Bullring - the Sarit Centre. Rarely has pizza tasted so good! In the afternoon I met with Christian Aid’s East African manager and picked his brain about Christian Aid’s work in the region. It was actually really inspiring to hear about some of the work we support - particularly the Kenyan Human Rights Commission. Being an activist can be a case of life and death here - especially if you are challenging an issue which could cause politicians or big business people to lose money.

No comments: